*Friendship*...

I had a very short conversation yesterday loosely around the subject of friendship - and it got me thinking.... and researching.....

According to Wikipedia... THIS is the definition of Friendship...

Friendship is a form of interpersonal relationship generally considered to be closer than association, although there is a range of degrees of intimacy in both friendships and associations. Friendship and association are often thought of as spanning across the same continuum and are sometimes viewed as weaknesses. The study of friendship is included in the fields of sociologysocial psychologyanthropologyphilosophy, and zoology. Various academic theories of friendship have been proposed, among which are social exchange theoryequity theory, relational dialectics, andattachment styles.
Value that is found in friendships is often the result of a friend demonstrating the following on a consistent basis:
  • The tendency to desire what is best for the other
  • Sympathy and empathy
  • Honesty, perhaps in situations where it may be difficult for others to speak the truth, especially in terms of pointing out the perceived faults of one's counterpart
  • Mutual understanding and compassion; ability to go to each other for emotional support
  • Enjoyment of each other's company
  • Trust in one another
  • Positive reciprocity — a relationship is based on equal give-and-take between the two parties.
  • The ability to be oneself, express one's feelings and make mistakes without fear of judgement.

So... What makes you a good friend?   For me, a good friend is there for you when you need, in those times of trouble... 100%, other than that, a text here and there, a phone call every now and then is cool... Also someone who doesn't judge you, they can have an opinion because that's what friends do - but never judge..... NEVER!  And when thing's get rough and you don't feel like you can cope....don't just ignore...explain how you're feeling.. and that it's not personal but you need some space to deal with your own shit and that you still love them. Time out in friendships is important too...

I have some really special friends... and i KNOW that they are there for me..... when i NEED them.  I'm not calling them 24/7 needing reassurance and most of the time they contact me because i don't like to impose...... but surely with friendships imposing is not a issue, or shouldn't be an issue... Maybe that's just me... because i hope my friends know that i am available ALL the time if they want me....2am/5am/11pm - i am here...

Anyway... What's your idea of a good friend....???

I've had good friendships breakdown, make up, breakdown, make up.....breakdown... and right now, this time of my life, i am more than happy with my set up....

Do you think some people are just not compatible as friends...?  I don't know... ?  Like i said in the post the other day, ALL relationships are hard work... and takes lots of understanding....and compromise... I think all people can be friends unless trust is broken (ie. lies/cheating)....

That's all for now.

Comments

Sarah said…
I need to hire you to write my blog posts. You were able sum up what I was trying to say much better than I could!
Sarah♥ said…
...It's not my first time.... ;)

x

Popular posts from this blog

Santa Pod..

Dilemma...

The last month...