Grrrrr..

(INSERT SARAH'S ANGRY FACE HERE)

Why is it, after almost 12 years my step father is still so ignorant to my illness?

This afternoon i asked my mother if she could take me to Stinkys new school tomorrow night at 7pm because there is a welcome parents evening. If it wasn't for the fact that Stinkys dad has no car and my fella is working until 7 then cutting hair until 9, i would have gone with either of them, but i can't so i ask my mum, BUT...my STUPID step father says "WHY DON'T YOU WALK THERE?". It's way too far for me to walk on my own, simple. I wouldn't even try, it's just too far.

I am so pissed off with the stupid comments he makes. He has NO idea about agoraphobia OR panic attacks.

Comments

Drew said…
Here's an idea. Try to turn this into a positive thing. From a "normal" person's point of view, anxiety and agoraphobia are hard to understand. Most people can't understand how going to your son's school can be so hard, or impossible, because you are afraid. Some people are just jerks, but for the most part people wind up being somewhat condescending and insulting simply because they can't understand. Why can't they understand? BECAUSE THERE'S NOTHING TO BE AFRAID OF! When you boil it all down, they're absolutely correct.

I would never allow my kids to skip school because they're afraid of a monster in the classroom because I know there is no monster in the classroom. There's no danger to them, so I'd expect them to be there. This is, for the most part, what you're dealing with. Your stepfather knows there's no "monster in the classroom", so he just can't understand why, from his point of view, you seem to think there is.

People can definitely make you feel like crap when they behave this way, but I try to use these things as a reminder that the fear driving avoidance really is irrational and baseless. The burden is on ME to accept that and overcome it, not on them to understand or cater to me.

Maybe that helps? ;-)
Shelly said…
That happened to me the other day. I had to bring my carin and everyone told me to just walk and pick it up. It was about a half mile. Ummm...are they kidding? I mean, how long have they known that I hve a hard time walking places. Eventually, I got a ride, but I was kind of frustrated. Hope you are able to get a ride for the meeting. I want to continue to read your blog when yo make it private, if that is ok.

Popular posts from this blog

Santa Pod..

Dilemma...

The last month...