Fuming.

This is something that i have not blogged about, until now.

My son, my gorgeous son has been diagnosed with learning difficulties, IN HIS LAST YEAR OF PRIMARY SCHOOL AND UNDER 12 WEEKS BEFORE HIS SATS!!!!!! I'm thinking, what the fuck have they been doing for the last 6 years? Okay, so he can read amazingly - BUT - he can't retain any of what he's read, and that goes with every other subject.

I watched a program last night on Channel 4, called Dispatches on how the education system are failing primary school students and that their maths skills are SO behind in their years. It felt oh so real.

So what am i doing to help?? (since the school has taken so long to sort anything out). Right now it's half term. My son is sat infront of a Maths workbook and he's working. Yes, what a mean bitch of a mother i am, but if the school isn't helping, it's down to me. He will do an hour to an hour and a half of this book and then he will read for an hour, and to make sure he's reading properly, i then ask him questions. I know it sounds tough, but i am so scared for him. These SATS that he is due to take in a couple of months determine what level he'll go into senior school with, and right now, it's looking like he will be entering in the "special needs". If we work hard enough (he also is having 3 classes of extra tutition at school starting after half term), we *might* just pull this back.

I pray he will...

Comments

em said…
really hope your son pulls through, im sure with your help he will get there. i think what the school does, (my nephew had the same thing) is let the senior school have the responsiblity of his learning, its saves the junior school time and money. they just dont think of the children.

there is help out there if you need it, listening to what my sis went through its tough but you will get there. xxx
Nikki said…
Hi Sarah, Im sure he will be fine, and while you might feel mean getting him to work in his hols (I would too) its one of the best things you could do for him.
My son is having some problems, he's struggling with his writing and recently they told me he was struggling in PE/with motor skills.. So I a) feel its my fault because Im not the brightess lamp in the street, b) I obv feel upset for my son because I hate the thought of him being taken away for extra work when everyone else is sat there doing fine, c) I get upset when he comes home telling me he's stupid (And apparently another kid told him that last wk).. But I feel glad that they are helping him and in general, while I feel its a bit much for a 5yr old, Im happy hes getting help. Ive spoken to the head about Jason, it was a really helpful and insightful conversation, could you arrange to do the same, dont keep quiet if you feel more could be done, Id also try and find out what theyve actually been doing all that time as well.
Im sure with your help that will help stink(!?) immensely :)
Sarah♥ said…
Hi Em. Hope you're well!
It is the schools responsibilty, but i really don't want him to end up in the bottom groups where it makes him even more of a target for bullying. He'll not cope. I know that.

Thank you for your comment :)
Sarah♥ said…
Nikki. Hope you're okay hun :)

Stink (Yes, that's his name...lol), he doesn't quite get the seriousness of it all. He doesn't understand that these SATS are SO very important and that scares me.

I'm not bright either, i am a thicket, but i have ALSO sat with Stink from day ONE and helped him with homework AND reading. Sometimes i have ended up in tears through frustration...but i have never given up and don't intend to now. I will try my hardest to make my son succeed, i don't want him to end up like me. A fuck up.

BTW - I hope you didn't take your post down on your blog because of me, i'm worried about that now :(

x
Amy said…
I'll have him in my thoughts Sarah (and you of course!). I can't believe they left this undiagnosed until he was due to finish primary school! Absolute insanity!
Robert said…
Don't accept this assessment! Get a second opinion! I was told that my son had severe learning difficulties and I believed them. 12 years later, I found out that this wasn't accurate - he has autism! Your son might have got the right assessment, but it's borderline if they didn't pick it up earlier. Get it checked out to make sure.

Popular posts from this blog

Santa Pod..

Dilemma...

The last month...