Anorexia/Bulimia Nervosa.

My name is Sarah and i have had eating disorders for 23 years.

It began when i was 12 at school and started being bullied for looking like this...


...can't blame them really!!!! (I was 4ft 10, 9 1/2 - 9 3/4 stone and wore a size 12-14 clothes.)

Everywhere i went i was being called fat/ugly/tree trunks/bugs bunny. I was physically and verbally abused for 2 1/2 years. So i thought, fuck you, i won't be fat anymore so i started to do something about it.

I cut out biscuits, my multiple bowls of cereal i use to eat when i got in from school and of course desserts went completely of my food list. Soon the weight was coming off, however, i was still ugly. Then on went the brace, for 11 months, when that came off, the bugs bunny teeth had gone, but i still needed to lose more weight. About 3 months into the bullying, in a cupboard at home i discovered some laxatives. That looked like a good idea, i'll take them and shit out what i eat - excellent. Low and behold the weight started coming off even quicker.

By the age of 16 i was down to 7 1/2 stone (perfect weight for my height) but i still wasn't happy. My food restriction wasn't too bad, i would still eat dinners, although portion sizes began getting smaller. This was the same time i was diagnosed with BDD. I don't think it helped that all my friends were thin and could eat what they wanted. I always felt out of place, the fat and ugly one.


At 17 i started seeing that fella above. Now, he was (believe it or not) a proper ladies man, he had the gift of the gab, all the seductive chat up lines that made MY legs go weak. When i started seeing him, he was kind of seeing someone else (i found out at a later date), so then came the insecurity that if he could do it to her, he could do it to me. I know what i'll do - i'll lose MORE weight, that'll keep him. I started eating just salads....and not much else. It was during my relationship with him that i was passing out a lot through not eating enough. But then, also started the binges. I'd eat a shit load, then take even more laxatives to get rid of it.

By my 18th birthday i was looking like this...



Still no dramatic weight loss, but i was keeping a steady 7 1/2 stone. See my friend in the picture with me was ALWAYS a skinny minny and i felt huge next to her! Food restriction was getting more and more. No sweet food would touch my lips at all...nothing! I hardly ate, although i still took laxatives daily!

21 years old...(in Australia)




...i think the weight loss in these picture's is more apparent.

Just one year later i fell pregnant and enjoyed every second of being able to eat what i wanted without feeling guilty.



It was a bloody miracle how i got pregnant since i hadn't had a period for 9 months!

As soon as he born i worked hard at maintaining a good healthy diet so i could feed him. To my amazement, the weight (again) dropped off. Within just 2 weeks i was back in size 8 jeans. Not through dieting, i do believe breastfeeding helped a lot.

When he was 7 months old, i stopped breastfeeding and there commenced the fierce dieting, restricting, completely out of control. I ate nothing, and shoved as many shit pills down my throat as i possibly could. I would pick at my sons dinner (also at this point i was totally housebound and couldn't have ANY cooking done in my house because i feared the smell would make me sick). I LOST A LOT. I went right down. I was OBSESSIVELY weighing myself 10, 20 times a day. Making sure that i wasn't getting fatter. I would run up and down the stairs if the scales said something i didn't like!

This behaviour carried on for years. Then around 2006/2007 i started eating evening meals. Only veg but it was something i had never done. Gradually i reintroduced other things into my diet, like pasta...pies...all sorts. I enjoyed it, but the feeling of fullness doesn't sit well with me.

November 2007, i was taken to hospital because of Atrial Fibrillation - although at the time i was told it was NOT caused by laxatives, it scared me enough to stop taking them. This was good...VERY GOOD because by then i was on between 24 - 32 A DAY! I continued to eat my evening meal, however cutting out biscuits and sweet things. As i wasn't taking laxatives any more, i wouldn't be able to shit out the bad stuff!!!!!

Some time later, i started taking them again because i was struggling to go to the toilet, i even consulted the doctor beforehand and he said it was okay, even KNOWING my history.

Now - i reckon i weigh about 7st. I don't weigh myself. It could be more... I stay away from them unless i feel that i've been good and not eaten shite, which unfortunately doesn't happen very often, not when you have a boyfriend that is a proper foodie who LOVES cooking :)

I still eat every night, a good meal and i don't not eat carbs, fat, or sweet things...

..but i do still take pills.

(NB. AT NO POINT WAS I LOOKING AT MAGAZINES AT CELEBRITIES DESIRING TO LOOK LIKE THEM, THIS WAS NOT A "I WANT TO LOOK LIKE (X PERSON)", IT WAS PURELY TO DO WITH THE FACT I WAS SO MUCH FATTER/UGLIER THAN EVERYONE ELSE AND BULLYING IS EVIL. I FUCKING HATE BULLIES, AND IF I EVER FOUND OUT MY SON WAS BEING BULLIED, THERE WOULD BE HELL. INSTANTLY. I WOULD NEVER LET HIM GO THROUGH THE HELL I DID KNOWING HOW MUCH IT EFFECTS CONFIDENCE, SELF ESTEEM AND TRUST. EVEN NOW, STILL DIETING, I DO IT BECAUSE I AM NOT HAPPY WITH THE WAY I LOOK, NOT THAT I ASPIRE TO LOOK A SUPER SKINNY CELEB. AS I SAID ON MY VLOG, ITS MORE TO DO WITH MISS AVERAGE WALKING DOWN THE STREET.)

(i've been trying to finish this for 2 days!)

Comments

vinny said…
Hi Sarah wow i did not realise it was that bad and you had gone through so much,i'm so glad you can now eat a meal in the evening,you really shouldnt worry about weight hun,i know its ok for me to say as i dont suffer but i really think people look more healthy when they are a little bigger {not too big though} hope this isnt all coming out wrong as its hard to say what u mean when typing isnt it,you looked great when u were pregnant and really happy too,sorry u are still taking the pills,hope u can coe off them one day as i would hate u to make yourself ill with all this,ur stunning but look after urself {{{hugs}}} love vin xx♥xx
Sarah♥ said…
I looked YOUNG when i was pregnant. I look like hell due to nearly 12 years of raising a boy single handedly!!! ;)

I wish i could come off them, they are part of my life - its what *I* do!

x
Aimee said…
Oh sweetie :( I'm so sorry that you have been through this. Bullies are horrible and I know all about them myself. I was bullied as a child and into high school because I was (and still am) fat. I decided to turn to food for comfort and became even bigger. I never really dieted, I just shoved food down my throat to comfort myself, and still do this. You are beautiful and even the picture where you say you were not, you still were. We can all be our own worst enemies. ((((((Hugs))))))

Popular posts from this blog

Santa Pod..

Dilemma...

The last month...